- Bonding, bridging, and linking social capital and social media use: How hyperlocal social media platforms serve as a conduit to access and activate bridging and linking ties in a time of crisis. Natural Hazards (2020)
- The role of social media in disaster recovery following Hurricane Harvey. (2020) Journal of Homeland Security and Emergency Management.
- Oasis of resilience? An empirical investigation of rainwater harvesting systems in high poverty, peripheral communities (2020) Economics of Disasters and Climate Change (with Daniel Aldrich)
- A Janus-faced resource: Social capital and resilience trade-offs. (2018) in Marie-Valentine Florin, Igor Linkov and Benjamin Trump, eds., IRGC Resource Guide on Resilience. Lausanne: EPFL International Risk Governance Center. (with Daniel Aldrich and Timothy Fraser).
- "Social Capital and Natural Hazards Governance" (2018) Natural Hazard Science: Oxford Research Encyclopedias. (with Daniel Aldrich and Michelle A Meyer)
- “Social Capital and Participation in Climate Change Adaptation.” (2016) Climate Science: Oxford Research Encyclopedias. (with Daniel Aldrich and Christopher Paul)
- “International Actors Leading in Relief Efforts: 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami Aid Assessment.” (2009) Asian Politics and Policy, 1(3) 435–462
WRITINGS FOR GENERAL AUDIENCE
- “Why social media apps should be in your disaster kit.” (with Daniel Aldrich) The Conversation. 8 September 2017
- “Financing the Health-Related Millennium Development Goals.” (with Yanzhong Huang) Global Health Governance. 20 March 2014.
- “Impact Investing and Global Health: The Future of Global Health Financing?” Global Health Governance. 21 October 2013
- "Cambridge Community Assessment." (May 2018) Commissioned Report for Cambridge Mayor's Special Advisory Committee on Neighborhood-Based Resiliency
- “The Power of Social Media: How Online Connections Expedited Public Services Following Hurricane Harvey” (2018) Quick Response Report. Natural Hazards Center: University of Colorado-Boulder
- “Disaster recovery and social media use: An analysis of Facebook, Twitter, and Nextdoor use in Houston following Hurricane Harvey.” Paper presented at the 2020 American Political Science Association Conference, Virtual
- “If you built it within a half mile, they will come: Building hyperlocal bridging social capital.” Paper presented at the 2019 International Studies Association Conference, Toronto
- “Social capital: Unpacking how it supports resilience, and how it can be strengthened.” Paper presented at the Resilience Measurement, Evidence and Learning Conference 2018, New Orleans
- “A new era of disaster response: How social media is changing top-down approaches.” Paper presented at the 2018 American Political Science Association Conference, Boston
- “An examination of countries with voluntary political party and institutionalized legislative gender quotas.” Poster presented at the 2017 International Cartographic Conference, Washington, D.C. (with Bahare Sanaie-Movahed).
- “Estimating social media effects on neighborhood resiliency.” Paper presented at the 2017 Midwest Political Science Association Annual Conference, Chicago (with Daniel Aldrich).
- “Social and transportation networks in the 2015 Boston Snowmaggedon.” Paper presented at the 2017 Boston Area Research Initiative Conference, Boston (with Daniel Aldrich).
- “Social capital and shared identities as determinants of international disaster aid: 2000-2013.” Paper presented at the 2015 Midwest Political Science Association Annual Conference, Chicago
- “Norm internalization: The case for disaster risk reduction.” Paper presented at the 2013 Midwest Political Science Association Annual Conference, Chicago
- “Why states prepare for natural disasters: Implementation of the Hyogo Framework for Action 2005-2015.” Paper presented at the 2013 International Studies Association Annual Conference, San Francisco
- “International actors leading in relief efforts: 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami aid assessment.” Paper presented at the 2008 Midwest Political Science Association Annual Conference, Chicago